Sunday, July 19, 2009

WELCOME....

To anyone who stumbles upon this attempt in sharing a piece of myself with the world:

WELCOME!!!
(though I doubt that anyone will actually read this particular post)
The name of this blog comes from one of my favorite poems and one of the most poignant pieces of literature I have ever read, Howl by Allen Ginsberg, published in 1956. I wish I could have heard him perform the piece live, though one might be able to find a recording on YouTube - hell you can find anything there.
In it, Ginsberg seems to be screaming at the world, just wanting to be heard.
It begins thus:

I saw the best minds of my generation detroit by madness, starving hysterical naked,

dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix,

angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of the night...

And this is my "howl". My attempt to scream at a world that refuses to listen, hoping that a few might hear me. I don't pretend nor aspire to write anything as affecting as Ginsberg did. I only wanted a space to put all the things spinning around in my head and maybe figure a few things out for myself in the attempt.
If you decide to join me on the journey -- welcome. And lets begin...

Best,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment