Wednesday, November 4, 2009

the kouklitas

I have a soft spot for dolls, even today.  I still have the antique Madame Alexandre doll my mom gave me when I was ten years old, it was once hers, along with all the handmade custom clothing that was made especially for the doll by an employee of my grandfather's when my mom was a girl.

Then there are the Kouklitas.  These beautiful creations by Andrew Yang are amazing works of art, but the fun part is that they are meant to be played with.



According to his site, "The Kouklitas are a line of 27” fashion rag dolls conceived by New York City based artist and illustrator Andrew Yang. The name originates from the Greek word for doll, koukla. Each doll is cut from a pattern, sewn into muslin, and meticulously stuffed and attached by hand. The faces are all hand painted, and the dresses are created using luxurious fabrics and couture sewing methods. After a doll is completed, she is named and given a story."





Check out this interview at Trend Land and more pictures after the cut.














No comments:

Post a Comment